Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

3 weeks after birth...still have those thighs and tummy


After giving birth which was the longest 30 plus hours ever, my legs were toned and slim again, my butt nice and firm and my stomach flat and no flabby arms. Plus my face was no longer as round as a beach ball and my swollen feet fit perfectly and elegantly in to those beautiful strappy 3 inch Jimmy Choos. Ha...yeah right! If only it was that easy! I mean really, you'd think after 9 months of discomfort, only being able to stare at your designer jeans and clothes instead of wearing them, and watching those horrible lines appear on your thighs and breasts called stretch marks, that the man upstairs would at least give you your old body back.

Reality; 1 week later I was grocery shopping only to have a very nice man stocking the shelves down the aisle ask me when I was due. What I really wanted to say was 3 weeks ago, and a baby a week ago...it's called the belly after the baby thanks! What I really said...4 months. I figured I still looked about 5 months pregers.

Now I know it's still early and I shouldn't complain, I just am trying to get back what I worked so hard at before I was pregnant to have again...a good body...not only that but confidence and the enjoyment and pleasure of being comfortable in my own skin...if you ask me there is nothing wrong with that.

As soon as I popped that beautiful little girl out of me, I was ready to run, run and run some more...only to be told that I really shouldn't start exercising too hard until after 6 weeks so my body can heal. Ahhh I finally got this kid out of me and you are still telling me no. I walked for at least 45minutes everyday past my due date so I figured I am at least going to continue to walk. Well on my third day after giving birth it was nice out and I decided to take Harley (our pooch) and Ashlyn out for her first walk and mine since birth. Mind you I walked for 2 hours in the heat...and the next day discovered that my bleeding increased drastically and was barely able to move let alone walk around the house. So I wouldn't recommend that. However I'm at 3 weeks now and starting at the 2nd week home I've been walking anywhere from 2-4 times a week for 2hours, with lots of water on hand and pushing that baby stroller up any hill I can find. I live in the valley so there aren't a lot of real hills...so more like slopes. I'm happy to report that I've lost 26 lbs! Granted I lost 13 right after giving birth but still. Plus I've been breast feeding which helps burns calories - my boobs are like a vending machine with the hottest snack on the market! And drinking a glass of V8 everyday. However my belly has gone down but it's still like a big bowl of jello, it jiggles and wiggles and is not firm at all, plus it's still not flat! My legs are smaller, but my thighs are still larger then life for my small 5'2 frame! Note that I gained 50lbs on my pregnancy...whatever anyone tells you about how you can eat for two or whatever you want...don't listen. Stick to your regular habits just add more fruits for sweets and indulge here and there. PS. Take it from me...dessert does not mean the entire pie!

1 comment:

  1. Amanda!!! OH...I feel your pain. I am here to offer encouragment and support:)
    #1.YES it IS possible to get your body back!
    #2. How much work it will take? I dont' know, but you are motivated enough to do it! and it will be worth it! -as you already know
    #3. It is not selfish at all to want this, you deserve it and I have found the better shape I am in, the better I feel about myself and the better wife and mother I am b/c i'm not wasting my time complaining about WANTING to be in shape! lol

    So, I am 30 and I am only NOW in the best shape of my life. I thought I had missed the boat, or I was too old, but not so my friend! I made the choice last summer to get off my butt and start running. I love it and I'm in the best shape i've EVER been in!
    You can do it. You too can get your body back and better if you want! (but you were pretty hot before, so not sure if you can beat that;))

    After Megan, I was like you, lost most of it but had another 10-15lbs to get off. I walked A LOT of hills those first few weeks too lol...
    just keep at it.
    Oh..and email me your email address (nicolewag@gmail.com)
    b/c I have a beachbody blog that I started and I'll send you an invite. it's a place to check in with eacother about our workouts and eating etc to go for support, venting and accountability! there are about 10 of us, but only 3 or 4 of us really post, we could use another motivated gal to join us:)

    good luck my dear, you'll do great!!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete